How To Rent An Apartment In Indianapolis
Preparing to rent your first apartment? Or maybe it’s been many years since you leased one, and now you’re starting the process again. Here’s what you need to know about how to rent an apartment in Indianapolis, from determining how much you can spend to finding the best apartment and filling out the application.
How Much Can You Afford?
Your first task is to decide your budget. You wouldn’t want to go crazy about a floor plan only to realize it’s totally beyond your range. Examine your budget before you take a tour of that terrific two-bedroom with a nature view. Here’s some guidance to help you.
- Review your net income - the total you have after taxes - and subtract your current charges (credit cards, car payments, etc.).
- Factor in unforeseen charges like flat tires and urgent care appointments. As a general rule, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Estimate expenses at your new place, such as groceries and utilities. If you need a starting point, go with $250 per month for both.
- How commonly do you dine out? Project your entertainment and dining expenses per month.
- What do you have remaining? This is what you can apply toward rent. Now is the time to decide if you should consider a roommate.
Picking Your Apartment In Indianapolis
Investigating different communities and floor plans can be enjoyable but also time-consuming. Be sure you allow yourself adequate time to search around - at least two or three months. Your opening step is to determine your preferred location. Do you want to be close to your job or school? Are you trying to find something downtown or in suburban areas? Is there entertainment and shopping close by? Knowing the location will save you a lot of time.
You likely already know how many bedrooms you’ll need, so you can focus on finding your favorite floor plan. Next, you should think about what amenities you want. Is a fitness center or swimming pool essential? Do you need a community open to furry friends? Answering these kinds of questions will streamline your search.
What To Expect In The Application Process
Once you’ve picked out an apartment, you have to complete the application process. You’ll want to be prepared with photo identification, documentation of income, and references. You’ll typically pay an application fee to cover the cost of credit and background checks. If you plan on using a co-signer, let the leasing agent know at the beginning, as they may not be allowed.
Your application process will typically involve the following:
- Pay the application fee
- Submit an application form
- Anticipate credit and background checks
- Sign the lease
When filling out the application, you should anticipate supplying this information:
- Name, email, phone number, and current address
- Occupation and income amount
- Prior address(es)
- Pets (if applicable)
- Contacts in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked for past landlords or professional and personal references
Find The Perfect Apartment At Riverview Apartments
Leasing an apartment in Indianapolis isn’t hard to do at Riverview Apartments. We boast a wide assortment of amenities and floor plans to accommodate your lifestyle. Request a tour to see what we have to offer or call 317-751-4053 to talk with one of our helpful leasing agents about how to rent one of our apartments in Indianapolis.